I'm starting a small personal meme where I will post 10 truths about myself.
Truth # 1:
I suffer from dyscalculia. It means I have to deal with the following problems:
- Difficulty with everyday tasks like checking change and reading analog clocks
I was 15 before I could tell time on an analog clock. I still have to check it several times to be sure I got it right. And don't even get me started on checking change. There's a reason I don't work in a shop.
- Difficulty with conceptualizing time and judging the passing of time. May be chronically late or early
I am always late. Except for work. I have a very strict morning routine that needs to be followed religiously so I get to work on time. I simply have no concept of how long something takes to do. I live in an almost timeless world where 10 minutes feels the same as an hour.
- Might do exceptionally well in a writing related field- many authors and journalists have this disorder
I've always had a wild and amazing imagination. I once idled an entire hour of Danish class away by looking out the window and imagining the street lights dancing in the streets.
- An inability to read a sequence of numbers, or transposing them when repeated, such as turning 56 into 65
Never tell me a phone number unless I have paper and pen to write it down. And also say each number slowly and preferably one single digit at a time.
- Low latent inhibition, i.e., over-sensitivity to noise, smell, light and the inability to tune out, filtering unwanted information or impressions.
I am slightly over-sensitive to noise. It was much worse when I was a kid and I'd spend as much time alone as I could. I still prefer to be alone because I don't have to keep concentrating on a lot of information all at once. I am very over-sensitive to smell and love the days when my allergies cause my sense of smell to bugger off and leave me alone.
- Mistaken recollection of names. Poor name/face retrieval.
I have big problems remembering people's names. I know people I've been working with for the last 6 years and I still have no idea what their names are. I especially have problems with people who are blond.